NEWS & UPDATES
· Housing costs have risen across the West, including locally. This impact, plus the quarantine generally — including higher food prices, rising car costs, and federally supplemented unemployment payments — have led to what is, in effect, a general strike over wages. A Richfield city councilman recently stated that $12 per hour was “too low to live by” in Richfield.
· A reminder that May 28 — this Friday — is the last day of school. Congratulations to all the students, faculty, and staff who made it through this year so successfully.
· Sevier Valley Center is looking forward to June, where they have several “scholarship programs” scheduled: Miss Sevier County is on June 5th, Utah State Cinderella will be on June 12th, and Miss Richfield is on June 26th.
· Water levels at Utah’s reservoirs are lower than normal after a bad year for snowpack and Gov. Spencer Cox is warning severe drought conditions could trigger water and fire restrictions and a possible ban on fireworks this year… Continues here.
· The Richfield IFA Country Store has still has chicks ready to take home. Chickens are allowed in Richfield.
· This week, Richfield’s Huish Reel Theatre is showing “Here Today” (PG-13) starring Billy Crystal, “Those Who Wish Me Dead” (R) with Angelina Jolie, and “Wrath of Man” (R) starring Jason Statham.
SEVIER VALLEY DINING
· South China restaurant has added a new soup and salad bar, offering two salad blends and 20 additional toppings, alongside their famous egg drop and hot & sour soups, plus the soup of the day! It’s only 8.99 and available all day long.
The first Food Truck Rally of the year was held Monday at Richfield’s city park. Bowlify has added “Pina Colada” smoothies now. The Front Perch Chicken food truck was at Napa on Tuesday, and El Sabor de Guerrero will be there Thursday.
Plus, GG’s Marketplace in Monroe has a new Burger Bar for lunch!
Also, Carl’s Jr in Elsinore has a new chicken-and-waffles sandwich for breakfast.
And, Sandi’s special this week is a Sloppy Joe Combo.
See more at: Sevier Valley Dining group on Facebook!
SEVIER VALLEY JOBS
· An online, statewide job fair will be held June 3. It will be the largest of the year, with jobs on offer from over 100 employers — everything from “A Cute Baby, Inc.” to “Zions Bancorporation!” Many employers will offer remote working, too. Find out the details here!
· Did you know that a third of women working as nurses, and other healthcare professions, left the workforce during the last quarter alone? Dealing with the high incidence of death during the pandemic is cited as a key reason for leaving the industry. Learn more here.
SEVIER VALLEY HOMES
· During the recent quarantine and housing crisis, it appears some of Richfield’s motels located along Main Street have been converted into apartments.
This week, the former Motel 6 motel, on Main Street across from Pearson Tire, has been converted into extended stay hotel. Now renamed as “Ville 647,” it offers furnished rooms at weekly and monthly rates. Utilities, cable and wifi are included, with no credit checks. Each room includes beds, linens, TV, and kitchenette with a microwave, fridge, hot plate, and kitchen sink.
SPORTS & OUTDOORS
· Enjoy this week’s beautiful weather — which will be warming through the week, reaching the mid-80s by Saturday, before cooling a little by Monday.
· In local sports, recent winners include Richfield’s Piper Harris, who held off a challenger during a playoff to earn medalist honors, helping Richfield earn the Class 3A state title at Mountain View golf course in West Jordan.
· At the 2021 United States Bowling Congress Open Championships, in Las Vegas, Richfield’s Johnny Anderson and Blaine Pierce led the Classified Doubles division.
The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources has set Saturday, June 12, as “Free Fishing Day!” Learn more about fishing (without purchasing a license first) here.
RICHFIELD NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH
· Please remember to keep your doors locked, in your cars and home, especially at night. Deadbolt locks — available at Larsen’s Ace Hardware and Home Depot — help keep your door (and home) extra safe. Close windows and sliding doors, lock, and add a dowel or board to keep them from being forced open.
· This past week, Interstate 15 was closed while law enforcement chased, and captured, a gunman on the run. Keep up on tips to keep your family, home, and property safe on the Richfield Neighborhood Watch group on Facebook.